Photo: Courtesy of Bruce Batson.

This photo image from around 1950 is of the Wanaque Supply, later also known as Wanaque Fence and now the Braen Supply at 1434 Ringwood Ave. (Additional photo.) This is one of the business establishments at the southern end of Wanaque (Haskell) and found coming north from Pompton Lakes. This area has change dramatically over the past 10 to 15 years with Interstate 287 coming through. The hanging game is indicative of the rural atmosphere of the time. Additional photos of this area will be available soon.

Just north of the Wanaque Supply was an A & P supermarket and a row of smaller stores. In the A & P parking lot was a billboard for radio station WKER. The photo of the billboard, from the 1970's, also shows Luigi's Pizza and the Texaco station that were opposite the Union Avenue intersection.

Photo: Courtesy of WGHT Radio.

Photo: William Trusewicz.

Photo: William Trusewicz.

The same structures in the WKER photo are seen again in these November 1984 photos taken by Mr. Trusewicz. He recalls the Pizza restaurant as being Luigi's and the service station as last belonging to Shell Oil. The station was only for auto service at the time these pictures were taken. The white building to the left of the photo still exists and is currently a used car lot, Automotive Handlers. All the other structures, including the homes in the background where cleared for Route 287 and an entrance ramp.

The left turn lane would put you onto Union Avenue.

For more on Union Avenue and the construction of Route 287, click here.

Photo: William Trusewicz.

Photo: William Trusewicz.

Opposite the A & P parking lot was York Motors, as seen in these 1984 photos. The traffic light at the right side of the photos is at the Union Avenue intersection.


Photo: Courtesy of Walter McKinnon.

A traffic accident at the corner of Ringwood and Union Avenues in 1931. The dump truck belongs to Frank W. McKinnon, father of Walter McKinnon the contributor of this photograph. The lettering on the side of the truck states, "F. W. McKinnon, Midvale, NJ, Top Soil." A closer look at the photo shows the second tow truck waiting. The sign in the window of the building in the center is for "Twin Lakes Realty." Also, note the sign for "Al's Diner, End of Road." Even back then an accident drew a crowd. Frank McKinnon is one of the men at the front of the dump truck.

For another view of the accident,
click here.

Photo: William Trusewicz.

Once the Route 287 overpass had been completed, improvements to that section of Ringwood Avenue also began. This view isthe west side of Ringwood Avenue just north of the Union Avenue intersection. This photo from about 1995 shows the destruction of the Superior Auto Repair and Euroglass Auto Body buildings. These were some of the last to go. This location is now the strip mall containing Dunkin Donuts, a cleaners, bank, and convenience store.

Traveling further north on Ringwood Avenue, Haskell becomes more residential with a variety of homes and architectural styles. Ringwood Avenue also went under other names, including Main Street, both in Haskell and Midvale, as well as Greenwood Lake Turnpike.

However, before many of the homes were built, the entire area was mostly farmland. The below photo is a good example.

Photo: Unofficial.Net Collection.

This postcard image from about 1900 shows the Angora Goat Farm. This was located on the west side of todays Ringwood Avenue. Ringwood Avenue runs north to south, left to right in this photo. The two buildings still exist. This scene is in the area of First Avenue and Argyle St.

Photo: Unofficial.Net ( 5/2007).

The same location currently is seen in this photo taken from the parking lot of the temporary Wanaque Reserve sales office at Ringwood and First Avenues. The Getty gas station is located at the southwest corner of that intersection.

Photo: Unofficial.Net (5/2007).

The current photo on the left is the same house on the left side of the farm photo (currently 1248 Ringwood Avenue). The house on the right is the same structure as seen in the far right of the farm photo (currently 1283 Ringwood Avenue, the home of Frantella Construction).

Photo: Unofficial.Net (5/2007).

Through the 1800's what is now known as the Haskell section of Wanaque was mostly farm land and part of Pompton Township. In 1894 the American Smokeless Powder Co. bought land from H. Julius Smith. This manufacturing facility was sold to the Laflin and Rand Co. in 1898. Subsequently, more land was bought from H. Julius Smith and the powder plant expanded. It grew even more when DuPont took over Laflin and Rand in 1902. DuPont expanded through World War I. Production decreased after the war and the plant closed in 1926. A seperate page about the plant history can be read by clicking here.

Haskell was named after a company president. With the expansion of the powder plant the area around the plant and the plant itself grew. Homes for the workers needed to be built and many were built by the DuPont Company. Throughout this section of the site, residences belonging to or build by DuPont will be referred to. You will also see that the streets, water, sewer and elecric lines were maintained by DuPont. Additions and improvements to homes were also completed by DuPont.

Photo courtesy of the Hagley Museum and Library.

Photo courtesy of the Hagley Museum and Library.

The above photographs are from what was referred to as the lower village. They are photos taken by DuPont's engineering department as a record of progress being made with the various projects under completion. The photo on the left from October 1, 1917 depicts the lowering and covering of water mains. This is Whistler Place looking east. The first intersection is Jackson Street. The right photo, dated November 1, 1917, is the installation of T.C. pipeline (unknown as to what T.C. refers to) and catch basins. This is Jackson Street looking north, just above the intersection with Whistler Place. The buildings in the far distance are multi-room tenant houses. The tenant houses are long gone and have been replaced by the homes on Milton and McKinley Streets and Park Avenue.

Photo: Unofficial.Net Collection.

Photo: Unofficial.Net (1/2007.

Continuing north, the postcard view (left) is of what was then known as the Celora (Di Laura by most accounts) residence (in or about 1910). At the time, Ringwood Avenue was not much more then a dirt road. This structure has changed little over the years and is being preserved by the current owners.

Throughout this site you will notice numerous postcard views of private residences. Unusual now, but with few telephones or other means of communication, the postcard was a popular method for staying in touch.

Photo: William Trusewicz Collection.

Photo: William Trusewicz Collection.

There were many events in Wanaque, some more significant then others; some better, some worse. With failing industry and the loss of jobs from the late 1920's through the 1930's, Wanaque suffered as did the rest of the country. More on this in later paragraphs.

The events in the above photos (from the 1930's) are best explained as they were in the Wanaque Jubilee booklet of 1993. "Following the pattern of American history at the time, Wanaque experienced its own version of fear and intimidation. While immigrants were being victimized in other parts of the United States, they were also experiencing a threat to their security here in Wanaque. The Ku Klux Klan, using the negative economy as a justification, started marching the streets of Wanaque on a regular basis. While there is no record of any physical attack on any individual, there are lots of people who talk about the cross-burnings that took place. Apparently, the only thing that stopped these marches was when Mayor Guide insisted on the passage of an ordinance that required a 'signed' parade permit. Remember, these individuals wanted to protect their anonimity."

Photo: William Trusewicz Collection.

Speaking of Mayor Guide, the above photo is of the Guide Diner that was situated at the northwest corner of Ringwood and First Avenues. This was subsequently the location of a building that was known as the Steak Chalet, the Red Roost, Billy Joel's (briefly as a nightclub), and Partner's Restaurant before it finally became a Chinese restaurant. (Anyone with photos of either restaurant is asked to write the webmaster.) The later bulding was cleared for a parking lot and pre-fab building housing the sales office for the Wanaque Reserve Adult Community (as seen above).

Anthony W. Guide was Mayor of Wanaque from 1939 to 1950.

Photo: William Trusewicz.

Before coming to the center of Haskell the Dairy Queen was on the east side of Ringwood Avenue. Although not all that long ago, the "DQ" was a part of the landscape. The 1968 Wanaque Jubilee booklet advertised the business as Scotty Ward's Dairy Queen, featuring "Brazier Foods and Patio Dining." Also featured was an 18 hole miniature golf course. Located at 1138 Ringwood Avenue, now the location of another fast food restaurant. The above photo from July of 1996 was taken just prior to the building being razed.

Photo: Courtesy of Mr. and Mrs. Walter McKinnon as presented to them by Eleanor Van Wagoner.

The above stone house is attributed to the Van Wagoner family, a prominent name in Haskell and surrounding area in the 18th and 19th centuries. This photo of the house and family is likely from the mid to late 1800's. It is believed that the buildings pictured stood somewhere in the area of what can be referred to as Haskell center and in the area where Arrow Metal is now located. Maps from the mid-1800's do show a Van Wagoner home in that area. The close up is of the family in residence.

The structure is typical of Dutch colonial homes of the period and similar to many others in the northern New Jersey, southern New York area. These building were usually made of local stone with dressed blocks in the front and undressed, rough cut blocks on the remaining three sides. The smaller sections of the homes were often the earlier portion with the larger section being built later. The earlier section had the kitchen, cooking facilities with a large open hearth and attached oven. In the photo above, the protrusion on the right side of the smaller section would have been the oven. With the larger, newer section, the upper portion of the second floor was usually wood frame with shingle or clapboard. The curving lower slope of the roof was also a typical feature.

Photos: Unofficial.Net Collection.

Both the above postcard images were published in and around 1910. These views are of Main Street looking north. The photo on the left is an earlier image as the buildings are different in the right photo. In the right photo, above the car, in the center of the photo is the Haskell Hotel. The large building to the left of center still stands, for the time being. The buildings further along have been demolished.

Photo: William Trusewicz Collection.

Downe's Castle. Located on what is now Doty Rd. and Ringwood Ave. The tower is at the end of the building away from Ringwood Ave. It is said that the stone from this section was used for the construction of the Haskell Hotel (below). The wooden section remained.

Another view.

Photo: Mark Schiffer Collection.

Photo: William Trusewicz Collection.

Specht's Haskell Hotel, affectionately referred to at one time as "the Bucket of Blood" because of the bar fights that occurred there. The three gentlemen in front of the building are identified as William Van Orden, Howard Saundry and William Specht. This building was located ta the northwest corner of the Ringwood Avenue, Doty Road intersection.

Photo: Unofficial.Net Collection.

Another postcard view of what is described as the Haskell House. To the right is the Progressive Engine Co. No. 1, an early fire station.

Photo: Jay Hodshon.

This is one of several aerial photographs contributed to the site by Jay Hodshon. This one dates back to 1948 and shows "downtown" Haskell with what is now Doty Rd. in the center. The photo looks west with Ringwood Ave. running from left to right.

Photo: Courtesy of William Trusewicz.

Photo: Courtesy of William Trusewicz.

The building further along was more recently known as Jack's Hardware and Jack's Appliances. The photo on the left from June 2005 shows the building still having the Jack's Appliance sign on the left corner. The business had already closed a number of years earlier. The right side of the building last held the "Treasure Chest" an antique and curio dealer. The photo on the right, from August 2004 shows a number of the other businesses. One of note is Kressaty's Pharmacy, a Haskell fixture since the late 1940's.

Photo: Courtesy of the Thomas J. Luddy Collection.

Photo: Courtesy of William Trusewicz.

Postcard image (left) of the Haskell Post Office, looking north on what is now Ringwood Avenue. The same building as a residence in 2006 just prior to being razed. Between the Post Office building and the smaller structure to the north was, at one time, a rail spur that came from the main line, a short distance west, near the Haskell station. This spur crossed Ringwood Avenue going east into the DuPont plant. It is visible in the older DuPont Plant Office photo.

In front of what was at one time the Post Office building, this photo of its contributor, Carole Russo (Cothran) and her young friends, also shows an older auto parts business at 1051 Ringwood Avenue. This later became the location of the Lakeland Auto Parts building as seen below.

Click here for additional photos of this group of buildings on Ringwood Avenue, north of Doty Road.

Photo: William Trusewicz Collection.

The DuPont railroad spur connected to the main line near the Haskell Station. The station was located off Doty Road where it intersects with Lakeside Avenue. Note that the sign on the station building states "Haskells", a possesive term for the area being named for J. Amory Haskell who headed the Laflin Rand Company (later to become the DuPont Powder Works).

The DuPont Plant was a viable industry from about 1892 to 1926. As a result, this section of what was the Wynockie section of Pompton Township began to develop. The area thrived with assorted hotels and other forms of housing (Sally Crain's, Roome's, Tice's, Down's, Venezia's) being built or converted. This also included the construction of many homes. There were places of entertainment. Movies were shown at Down's, Lento's and later at the Community House (now the Municipal Building). Assorted watering holes also appeared including Specht's Haskell Hotel, as seen above.

For more on the DuPont Powder Works, click here.

More Haskell

To Top of Page